Order

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Saluting a Hero on Veterans Day

If you’ve ever checked my blog, you know it is dedicated to the Aztecs. But today being Veterans Day, I’d like to tell you about my non-sport, true hero, my big brother Chuck Ables – Staff Sgt. Ables, USMC.

He was an Aztec, a student at San Diego State, when Pearl Harbor changed the world for all of us. Not long after, he was a Marine. He went through boot camp right here in San Diego and then became part of the newly formed Third Division, as the Corps rapidly expanded. As a side note, Chuck designed the emblem for the Third Division.


Then he was off to those famous island battles. One after the other, Chuck was there. Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Kwajalein. All the way to Iwo Jima. Never came home until it was all over. And happily, he came home alive and well.

Chuck (right side of first photo) and his childhood friend Jack Chandler with captured Japanese flag on Bougainville, December 1943; Chuck (center) with his fellow Marines

Chuck’s contributions to America (and to San Diego) did not end there. He became a respected designer of parks for the San Diego Park and Recreation Department. Among the many parks he created is the one millions have enjoyed and one you have seen as you drive north or south on I-5. It’s that long, beautiful stretch of East Mission Bay Park, which features so many of his creative ideas.

Sadly, we’ve now lost him, but I assure you, his memory is still very vivid in our hearts and minds. And if you’ve ever enjoyed one of his many parks, you know what he means to you, too.  So, my Veterans Day salute is to my big brother, truly an American hero!


Me? Oh, yes, I am proud to have served in the Navy. Being the little brother, when I graduated from San Diego High, I was determined to join Chuck in the Marines. But when I walked in the door wearing my thick glasses, they thanked me and told me to go away. Nevertheless, I did get in the Navy at the tag end of WWII – and am proud to have served in the engine room of The Mighty A – the battleship USS Alabama, BB60.



At my station in the Engine Room aboard the USS Alabama: August 1946 and December 2011


1 comment:

  1. Dear Tommy,
    You are the hero in my book but you would never call attention to yourself. Another hero I remember was an Aztec player Leo vanGorcom (sp?). (Better check the facts on all of this!0 I remember seeing a pressclipping of Leon who had recently returned from active military duty in Viet Nam. There were a group of protesters who were threatening to pull the American flag down and burn it. Leon jumped up on the base of the flagpole and dared anyone to come and try. I'm told there were one of two folks with poor judgment who received a blackened eye for their efforts but the flag remained waiving high and proud thanks to Leon. I'm grateful that our citizens are allowed to peacefully demonstrate their opinions but also grateful for the Leons of our country who will fight to preserve those outwards emblems of collective and individual freedom of expression.
    Shalom
    rhp
    PS I vaguely remember that there were police officers present, many of whom had also served in Viet Nam. It must have been coincidental or maybe appochrophly (sp) that none of them remember observing any violence!. rhp

    ReplyDelete