Order

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Maybe a Bye Was Not Good; Now MW Starts

Last week I said the early bye looked like a good thing for our Aztecs this year. You will understand if I change my mind now with the benefit of hindsight. I won’t try to name them all, but virtually anything that can go wrong did go wrong. And mostly at times that affected the game. A two-way painful injury that led to turnovers and TDs. Fumbles, sacks, long TD passes by the enemy. You name it, I happened that night.

This can still be a really special season. An 11-1 regular season is very much in reach, and that would be a new record for Aztec wins in a season. The ’66 and ‘69 teams were 10-0 in the regular season, then had bowl wins. And if we win the MW championship game and a bowl game, it would be 13-1. That’s the goal. And, even against the odds and history, we still could have a shot at a New Year’s Day game.


Right now, the important goal is the Mountain West Conference title – we are 0-0 – starting Saturday with a home game against UNLV. As everyone seems to agree, the Rebels still not in the top deck of the MW, but they are vastly improved, and they have upset the Aztecs with weaker teams before, so we’d better be ready for this one.


I am confident that the Aztecs, from coaching staff through the whole roster, are going to be fired-up and ready for this one. 14-point favorites. My concern, knowing San Diego sports fans, is that many will bemoan one loss, spoiled after 13 straight wins, will decide they won’t go, This team needs and deserves everybody’s support. As Malik Smith said, “We lost, we did not die.”



DJ Pumphrey gained 151 yards and became the 21st player in NCAA history to rush for more than 5,000 yards; Eric Judge had 3 catches for 43 yards (Photos by Ernie Anderson)
Without boring you with a lot of details, let me briefly tell you how wonderful this last weekend was for me, except for the painful loss! First, on the plane, Rocky let me address the team. Saturday morning I was aboard my old battleship, the USS Alabama, and went all way down those ladders to my engine room. Then, at the game, they told my combination story of USS Alabama veteran and Aztec fan, and played it big on the video board. I was pleased at the crowd’s warm reception.


Addressing the team before takeoff (Ernie Anderson); in the engine room of the USS Alabama (Ernie Anderson); a warm reception from Jaguar fans (Ken Ables)
 GO AZTECS!

No comments:

Post a Comment